Last weekend I made jalapeño poppers to munch on during an NBA playoffs watch party. They were such a hit and people kept asking me for the recipe so I thought I’d make them again (much smaller batch) and post the recipe for you to enjoy! Matt says thank you for making me make them again :)
Two things that are different than your typical jalapeño poppers: 1) I bake them – no need to fry! 2) I make them open-faced – you get twice the amount of poppers for your guests to enjoy.
These have a little bite to them, so if you’re not a huge fan of spicy, they can easily be milder if you sub the pepper jack cheese with Monterey jack cheese. Also, make sure you take out all the seeds and especially the ribs (the white part) of the jalapeños. Contrary to popular belief, the ribs of a jalapeño is the spiciest part.
Baked Jalapeño Poppers
Spicy baked jalapeño poppers with a bite!
- 5 jalapeños, halved and remove all seeds and ribs
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese + some extra for topping
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, onion, cilantro, and salt and pepper.
- Fill each halved jalapeño with cream cheese mixture and place on baking sheet. Top with a sprinkle of pepper jack cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese browns.
- May sub pepper jack cheese with Monterey jack cheese to reduce spice.
the cozy table http://www.thecozytable.com/